Connect with us

CBS News

Opening statements to begin in trial of Alec Baldwin, charged in shooting death on “Rust” film set. Here’s what to know.

Avatar

Published

on


Opening statements are set to start Wednesday in the trial of award-winning actor Alec Baldwin, who is charged in the shooting death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on the set of the film “Rust.” Baldwin has pleaded not guilty in the case

Jury selection Tuesday was marked by delays, with the questioning of the 70 potential jurors starting several hours later than expected. But by the end of the day, that pool had been winnowed to 16 jurors, 4 of whom are alternates. The 11 women and five men seated will hear the case over the coming weeks and decide whether to convict the 66-year-old actor.

Here’s what to know.

Baldwin Set Shooting
Actor Alec Baldwin, right, and attorney Luke Nikas leave court after jury selection in Baldwin’s involuntary manslaughter trial on July 9, 2024, in Santa Fe, N.M.

Ross D. Franklin / AP


What happened on the “Rust” set?

Around 2 p.m. local time on Oct. 21, 2021, a prop firearm held by Baldwin went off, killing Hutchins and wounding director Joel Souza during a rehearsal in a small church on the set. Baldwin, the Western’s star and coproducer, has said he pulled back the Colt .45’s hammer, but did not pull the trigger

Authorities were called to the set at the Bonanza Creek Ranch and Hutchins was taken to the University of New Mexico Hospital in Albuquerque via helicopter, where she died of her injuries, according to the sheriff’s office at the time.

Authorities who searched the set recovered live ammunition. The New Mexico Office of the Medical Investigator determined in 2022 that the incident was an accident.

What charge does Alec Baldwin face?

Alec Baldwin faces a charge of involuntary manslaughter, a felony. If convicted, he could face up to a year and a half in prison. He has pleaded not guilty.

He was initially charged in January 2023 but prosecutors dismissed those counts three months later. Prosecutors again indicted Baldwin on a charge of involuntary manslaughter in January.

Baldwin asked for the charge to be dismissed, but the judge overseeing the case rejected his request.

Where is the trial, when does it start and how long will it last?

Judge Mary Marlowe Sommer is presiding over the trial in New Mexico’s First District Court, in Santa Fe.

The judge set the trial calendar to run from July 9-19. Jury selection was completed Tuesday, which means opening statements are on tap for Wednesday. Courtroom proceedings are expected to conclude by July 19, after which the case will go to the jury for deliberations.

Court begins at 8:30 a.m. MDT, 10:30 a.m. EDT. The judge said she expects court to break at 10:15 a.m. local time for lunch, then at 3:30 p.m.

While cameras were not allowed in the courtroom during jury selection, the trial will be livestreamed.

Will Alec Baldwin testify?

Baldwin’s attorneys have not said whether the actor will take the stand in his own defense. The actor has been in court for proceedings and is expected to attend every day.

Who else is expected to testify?

The state’s witness list contains 44 names, while the defense lists 14 individuals as potential witnesses.

While prosecutors wanted to call the film’s armorer, Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, who has already been convicted of involuntary manslaughter in the case, the judge ruled in June she could not be compelled to testify against Baldwin. She did not testify in her own defense.  

On the prosecution’s list of dozens of potential witnesses is Joel Souza, the film’s director who was also wounded in the shooting, along with several people who also also testified at Gutierrez-Reed’s trial, such as Seth Kenney, who owned the prop weapons company that supplied the film’s ammunition; Wyatt Mortenson, a stuntman on the film; and Gabrielle Pickle, a line producer.

The defense’s shorter list of potential witnesses includes David Halls, assistant director and safety coordinator; Ryan Winterstern, a producer who also testified in Gutierrez-Reed’s trial; and other members of the crew, among others.

The Los Angeles-based Hutchins, 42, was a self-described “restless dreamer” and “adrenaline junkie” who grew up on a remote Soviet military base. The Ukranian-born cinematographer earned a degree in International Journalism from Kyiv National University and graduated from the American Film Institute conservatory. Widely regarded as a rising star, her work included “Archenemy,” starring Joe Manganiello, “Blindfire” and “Darlin’,” which premiered at the SXSW film festival in 2019. 

Baldwin announced in 2022 he had settled a wrongful death lawsuit with Hutchins’ family: her husband, Matthew Hutchins, and their son, Andros.

Has anyone else been prosecuted in the case?

Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, the armorer who oversaw firearms on the set, was also charged with involuntary manslaughter. Though she pleaded not guilty, she was convicted in March and sentenced to 18 months behind bars after a trial overseen by the same judge overseeing Baldwin’s case. Gutierrez-Reed was acquitted on a charge of tampering with evidence. 

Earlier, Halls pleaded no contest to unsafe handling of a firearm. Halls, who agreed to cooperate in the shooting investigation, received a suspended sentence of six months probation.

The production company overseeing the movie was fined $136,000 fine, the maximum under state law, by New Mexico’s Occupational Health and Safety Bureau over the incident.



Read the original article

Leave your vote

CBS News

Graphic footage shows law enforcement standing over body of Trump rally shooter

Avatar

Published

on


Graphic bodycam footage released Tuesday by Republican Sen. Chuck Grassley shows local law enforcement and a Secret Service agent standing over the body of the gunman in the aftermath of the July 13 assassination attempt on former President Donald Trump during a campaign rally in Butler, Pennsylvania.

The footage, which Grassley said in a social media post was obtained via congressional request, was captured by the body camera of a Beaver County Emergency Services Unit officer.

It shows what appears to be multiple local law enforcement officers and a Secret Service agent standing on the roof from where the shots on Trump were fired from more than 400 feet away. The body of the gunman, 20-year-old Thomas Matthew Crooks, can be seen laying on the roof beside them with a trail of blood.

Last week, a local law enforcement officer with direct knowledge of the events had told CBS News that a sniper from a local tactical team deployed to assist the Secret Service at the rally had snapped a picture of the gunman and saw him looking through a rangefinder minutes before he tried to assassinate Trump.

In the bodycam video, an unnamed Secret Service agent appears to confirm this, saying that the deceased gunman matches the description of the suspicious person in photos that were disseminated prior to the shooting.

“A Beaver County sniper seen and sent the pictures out, this is him,” the agent says in the video, referring to the shooter’s body.

“I don’t know if you got the same ones I did?” an officer asks the agent of the photos.

“I think I did, yeah, he’s (the shooter) got his glasses on,” the agent replies.

The officer adds that the sniper “sent the original pictures, and seen him (the shooter) come from the bike, and set the book bag down, and then lost sight of him.”

The agent also asks about whether an abandoned bike that was found in the area belonged to the shooter.

“We don’t know,” an officer replies.

Sources previously told CBS News that an AR-style rifle, remote transmitter and cellphone was found on the shooter’s body, while two explosive devices, a drone, a tactical vest and four magazines of the same ammunition used in the shooting were found inside the shooter’s car.

In the video, the agent discloses that people who were believed to have filmed the gunman with their phones had been detained for questioning.

“There’s people detained who were filming…maybe they were involved, maybe they weren’t,” the agent tells the officers.

Authorities have since confirmed that the gunman acted alone, and cellphone video has revealed that attendees attempted to alert officers to the shooter a full two minutes before he opened fire on Trump.

Investigations Ensue As U.S. Reels After Trump Assassination Attempt
On July 14, 2024, two FBI investigators scan the roof of AGR International Inc, the building adjacent to the Butler Fairgrounds, from which the shooter fired at former President Donald Trump, during a campaign rally on July 13, 2024 in Butler, Pennsylvania. 

Getty Images


“I think we have three victims in the crowd, are you guys hearing that too?” the agent asks in the video, referring to the rally attendee, a 50-year-old retired firefighter who was killed, along with two other attendees who were critically wounded. 

During testimony Monday before the House Oversight Committee, Secret Service Director Kimberly Cheatle, who then resigned her post Tuesday, alleged that, at some point prior to the shooting, law enforcement teams were sent to identify and interview Crooks after he was deemed suspicious. She did not provide any additional details, including when the team was sent to make contact with him.

“At a number of our protected sites, there are suspicious individuals that are identified all the time,” she said. “It doesn’t necessarily mean that they constitute a threat.”

However, three sources familiar with a July 17 law enforcement briefing to members of Congress said that Secret Service was notified by the Pennsylvania State Police of a suspicious person with a rangefinder on the ground at 5:51 p.m. — about 20 minutes before the gunman opened fire.

A CBS News analysis has determined that the gunman was able to fire eight rounds in under six seconds before he was fatally shot by a Secret Service sniper. 

Scott MacFarlane, Melissa Quinn, Nicole Sganga and Anna Schecter contributed to this report. 



Read the original article

Leave your vote

Continue Reading

CBS News

Video shows whale capsizing boat off New Hampshire coast, fishermen rescued

Avatar

Published

on


Whale capsizes boat off coast of New Hampshire


Whale capsizes boat off coast of New Hampshire

02:32

RYE, N.H. — An incredible video captured the moment a whale off the coast of New Hampshire capsized a boat, sending two men flying into the ocean. Two teenagers nearby, who captured video of the incident, came to their immediate rescue. 

Two men thrown overboard

“You know the risk when you come out here, it’s really unusual what happened to us this morning,” said Greg Paquette, who was thrown overboard.

Paquette and his friend Ryland Kenney were fishing off the coast of Rye, New Hampshire, when a whale suddenly breached and knocked over their boat. 

“Thankfully it was slow enough that I could kind of swim my way out away from it before it completely capsized,” Paquette said.

It took Kenney several frantic moments before he could even find Paquette in the water. “Not much time to react,” Kenney said. “So I took a few steps off and basically did a superman off the boat.”

whale.jpg
A whale slammed into a boat off Rye, New Hampshire in July 2024.

Colin Yager


Two teens, Colin and Wyatt Yager, were fishing nearby when it happened. They said they saw the whale breach a few more times afterwards.

Colin had his rod in one hand and a phone in the other. “It’s just unreal. Completely unreal,” he said. 

The whale leaped out of the water, cresting over Paquette and Kenney’s boat. Paquette said the whale had a mouthful of fish and crashed down on the back of their boat, sending them flying. 

A Coast Guard crew from Station Portsmouth reported that the whale appeared to not be injured. The incident was reported to NOAA.

“This is their home”

Fortunately, the men were only in the water for a minute when the two boys came to their rescue.

“We are grateful to the good Samaritans for taking such quick action to rescue these two individuals. Bravo Zulu!” the Coast Guard said on X

The men made it out safely — but their belongings not so much. Paquette lost his iPhone. The boat was salvaged, the Coast Guard said.

“That’s the one thing we got to realize, that this is their home. This is their ocean, so we’re in their way,” Kenney said.

The Coast Guard asked boaters to report whale sightings to a local USCG command center.



Read the original article

Leave your vote

Continue Reading

CBS News

Delta faces lingering problems 5 days on from CrowdStrike outage

Avatar

Published

on


Delta faces lingering problems 5 days on from CrowdStrike outage – CBS News


Watch CBS News



While most U.S. carriers have resumed normal operations, Delta Air Lines continued to deal with issues Tuesday brought on by the global tech outage, with hundreds of flights canceled. Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg said the agency has received more than 3,000 complaints specific to Delta since the CrowdStrike outage. Kris Van Cleave reports.

Be the first to know

Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.




Read the original article

Leave your vote

Continue Reading

Copyright © 2024 Breaking MN

Log In

Forgot password?

Forgot password?

Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Your password reset link appears to be invalid or expired.

Log in

Privacy Policy

Add to Collection

No Collections

Here you'll find all collections you've created before.